I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

12 November 2006

a Church

Where is the easiest place, say, for a man to be spiritual? Maybe, is it hiding behind a big pulpit, dressed up in holy robes, preaching holy words to a faceless crowd and then disappearing into an office? And what is the most difficult, and therefore most meaningful, place for a man to be spiritual? At home, in the presence of his wife and children, where everything he does and says is automatically put through a spiritual litmus test against reality, where hypocrisy can be effectively weeded out and authenticity can grow. Much of Christianity has fled the family, often as a place of its own spiritual defeat, and then has organized artificial performances in sacred buildings far from the atmosphere of real life. As God is in the business of recapturing the homes, the church turns back to its roots, back to where it came from. It literally comes home, completing the circle of Church history at the end of world history.

Typically I won't borrow someone's words to express my own thoughts. But I like what Simson has to say above. As I struggle with "doing church" I have begun my journey to discover church again. I'll try to share with you where this road takes me.

1 comment:

George said...

Welcome to the journey. I would encourage you to read http://www.theofframp.org/Detox.html