I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

06 November 2006

N Edgewood Fire

While detailed to Truck 19 in Corryville, we made a fire on N Edgewood in what we call the Patch. On dispatch there were reports of two women trapped and we hustled to the truck with a bit more purpose. While enroute we were made aware that multiple calls were coming in (a sure sign of a working fire) and that a woman could seen at the window on the second floor. We were first due and as we pulled on to Spring Grove Ave - still a few blocks aways - I could smell the smoke. We talked assingments and I finished getting my gear ready for the search. Lt would have the camera, I carried an axe and a halligan bar.
The fire was bigger than I anticipated and the woman was now on the roof of the porch getting ready to jump. We tried to convince her to wait a bit while we threw a ladder, but she bailed as we made our way to her. Her body landed on the concrete steps of her home, breaking her femur and dislocating her shoulder. She was burned and screaming about her mother still being upstairs. We ensured a Rescue Unit would collect her and moved on.
We forced the locked front door and were confronted with a lot of heat and thick smoke. The camera was a big help with orientation and we made straight for the stairs which had already begun to burn out. Meanwhile, I heard the radio traffic from District 3 as he assumed North Edgewood command and knocked off the second alarm. The jumper was already on the way to UC. The Lt and I were making good progress and we climbed the stairs and started searching rooms. We wasted some time in the hallway bathroom - not knowing exactly where we were. But in a few mintues time, we had the second floor complete, but no victim.
The call came for us to be relieved and Truck 20, Truck 32 and Truck 2 began to search over our ground as we sat in the front yard aiding with hose streams and ladders. My only hope was that we didn't miss her in our search, knowing she was dead if she were still inside.
Some rumors flew through the fireground that she was out and safe. I was relieved and then called back inside to overhaul the fire. We pulled ceilings and walls for a good while and then found her body at the top of the stairs. The plaster had fallen on her and 4 truck companies crawed right over top. It was a mess and my stomach turns as I think about laying the sheet over what remained.
When I went back outside to get some water and take a second, I saw this woman's family accross the street getting the news from D-3 and from the Homicide detectives. I tried to stay focused on the job, but lost it for just a moment. The fire came in about midnight and we were relieved on the scene by U-3 at 0700.
At home that morning, Maurie asked me how my night went, I am not sure what I said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have an amazing opportunity to bring Christ to people that are suffering. I pray God reveals to you all the opportunities to minister to people during the "worst day of their lives." I pray you are able to see the unseen.

George said...

I'm glad you are back. Thanks for sharing your life experiences.I thank God for you and your fellow firefighters. May you always see God's presence as you serve.