I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

09 August 2005

Quakers

The doctrine of non-resistance to evil by force has been professed by a minority of men from the very foundation of Christianity.

-Tolstoy

Some observations that I have made as a man living in Cincinnati, Ohio. If you want to save the life of an unborn child you are a conservative stepping on the rights of others. However, if you want to kill all your enemies and believe that the only problem with dropping the Atomic Bomb on Japan was that we didn't have ten to drop - you are that same conservative. I admit, perhaps too radical an example - but I think you could see the truth in it.

The call of Jesus is to surrender and, in my estimation, abandon formal and communal politics as they are being offered to us today. There are simply no Christian choices and I am not sure we have a system that would allow for them. We must return to the power of the Spirit working in our churches and serve like never before. We must become creative in our resistance to the thought that the above example makes any sort of sense when set up next to the Christian worldview.

I will begin by visiting a Quaker meeting - I am not even sure you can do that. However, the Quakers are known for the stuff that I think the Gospel would have us be known for. Reports to come.

No comments: