I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

28 November 2005

Legacy

We buried my grandmother this morning. Dad's mom lived to 83 and died after suffering a heart attack almost three weeks ago. It has been, over the years and in the last days, a time of mixed emotions. Perhaps it has always been hardest on dad. In an attempt to protect himself and his family he had to release any relationship he could have had with his own mother - I can't even imagine.

I am not too aware of the details of his childhood - not even sure he ever had one. He has shared memories of Michigan and I've seen pictures, but I don't know much of his life before he met mom and had three boys. I have always suspected that he had to grow up before his time. However, I know this - my father has started a new Legacy with the life he is leading, the kids he raised and the woman he has stood by. My parent's love and support have far outweighed any shortcomings that anyone may point out in their parenting.

Now the grandchildren of Ethel Hanauer are all grown and have careers to be proud of, beautiful wives to take care of and children of their own to watch after. We will continue the young legacy that begins with our dad. We will share wonderful childhood memories and watch our kids make their own with their grandparents - mom and dad. The Hanauers are a formidable family - not one to be messed with. We will carry on a tradition of love and faith and unity far beyond my years. We will do this, because that is what a legacy is all about.

And you get a lion's share of the credit - dad. I love you.