I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

08 June 2005

On Learning

Sitting this morning with Angela I was made to wonder how many around me have stopped learning. Angela is my would-be violin teacher but I am not so sure that I will be her student. Today we had something of an interview and she did not do very well. They say you can tell if you will hire someone right off - without a word. So it was with Angela.

I will hire someone to teach me. But I will work after our session is done and they will do the things I would do if I were not learning. They will read Whitman and take walks and nap in the afternoon. They will do this because they have learned and, better still, learned to teach.

Some have stopped learning and they think it better. The work is not as appealing as the knowing. For example, I want to play the violin. So, I must weigh the work of learning to play against the fruit of being able to play.

It is the same with any subject you choose. Should the work ever become too much for the joy, it is always abandoned; to continue is one definition of madness.

Praise God that Jesus came and taught simple men the eternal truths of existence. Perhaps more importantly, I thank God those individuals were not finished learning.

When did it become okay to quit learning?

1 comment:

joshua r hanauer said...

Perhaps, in the distant future, I could arrange a private concert for the two of you.

Also, we must remember that no one who holds an opinion thinks they are wrong - including you and I. While we might leave room the possibility, we are not convinced that our thinking is bad.

We live in a pluralistic, post-modern age where truth and perspective meet as never before. The "old timer" you speak of is a modernist - and we've all met them. The are so comfortable with their position that you have nothing to offer them.

Then you meet today's individual. Someone who is so free to ideas and philosophies that nothing really sticks. "That works for you" type of mentality. I would imagine that they even hate what I just wrote because it smacks of label and pigeon hole and I realize I oversimplify the complexity of our time.

Bottom Line:

Both are challenging and both offer opportunities for thoughtful conversation.

Tomorrow I interview Rachel for the position of violin teacher. I'll update you.