I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

05 September 2007

Cleaning Up

Serve God, Save the Planet - title of the book being studied and read by our VC house church in Norwood. So far Maurie and I have stepped up our recycling, screwed in a couple more compact flourescents, considered a composting program and otherwise attempted to stop wasting and start cleaning up our time, lives and immediate surroundings. We are working on an energy audit - how many kWh of electricity do we use in a given summer month - while trying to figure out how to use our dryer less. Some of the changes come easy - lightbulbs for example - while others are a bit more challenging - giving up on the idea of the brand new truck I think I need. At the start of the process we are motivated and excited. I'll update you later to see if things have changed in the months to come.
Getting to know the good folks at Vineyard Central has been a blessing. Simple house church is something we look forward to each Tuesday. We shall see where it carries us - we are trying to stay wideopen to hearing God speak into our lives. So far it's been a bit quiet - but I am not convinced I know how to listen. In October we will begin Praying the Hours in the hopes of disciplining ourselves more. We are also engaged in some cohort mentoring with couples in the area. In general, we are cleaning up - both our internal lives and our external world.

No comments: