I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

21 November 2006

Do You Know What I Mean?

I just had a shouting match with Maurie about my ideas on church. Trust me, I know how terrible that sounds and how awful that is - but I am having some trouble getting my point across. Here is where I am right now.

The church should not be meeting in a building. It is quite simply a colossal waste of resources and effort and worry. It is a sea anchor. The church should not be paying people to do what all of us should be doing. I have read the verses that people use to justify payment and even used them myself once - I don't believe they apply anymore. We should not have a preacher, paid to entertain and teach once a week. We should not have divisions in our worship by age. Jesus would not have sent the children away for "Bible Hour" for the Sermon on the Mount (I ripped that example off something I read recently - sorry no reference). No one should be paid to visit the sick and dying. There is more but that's enough about money issues.

The church is a priesthood of believers - not a collection of folks along for the ride while one drives and another navigates. Indeed, we are all called to be priests. Some were not called to be complainers and some to be winers and some to be lazy consumers and some to be - you get the idea. We are the hope of the world - the ones in the pews - not the man behind the lectern.

Then there are the 'ifs' that I must deal with.

If I was sure this was right and...
If my family would not be offended and...
If those I love would join with me,

I would plant a church in my house tomorrow and I think it would prosper and do what the church should be doing. I am not sure what the concept of Institutional church is - I know it sounds bad, but I am not sure of my definition. I don't want to stop being a Christian or stop being associated with a body of believers. I just want to stop trying to convince my neighbors that they should come with me to a building, sit in a pew and watch worship. Instead, I want them to explore their gifts - man or woman - and then put those gifts into service for the Kingdom.

Do you know what I mean?

5 comments:

George said...

Yes I know exactly what you mean!

Adam said...

.....and so do I!

joshua r hanauer said...

Excellent, then.

Chris Ewing said...

as i said in my class, one of the biggest problems in churches is distance where members are spread out all over suburbia. the building is so important to some people because it's their only point of contact with other members. if the members would live closer together, then i think dependence on a massive building and paid ministers would lessen. it's not a cure-all, but an important step in the body awakening from its suburban slumber.

J. Ben Ranz said...

The Revolution starts now, my friend.