I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

04 June 2006

Getting Lost

My family has been attending church for most of my lifetime and sometimes (in fact, most times) I do very little learning on a Sunday morning. But I love to learn and so when I think of something new, or someone presents to me an idea in a way I have never thought of before - I am usually struck and spend some time thinking about said idea.

This morning Dr. Stephen D. Boyd was speaking to the church as he has for decades. He was discoursing about Jesus being lost in the Temple early in the Gospel of Luke. The story is worth reading if you don't know it and probably worth it even if you do. So, we're talking about the story when the idea hits. Steve tells about 120 listening folks that Jesus was not lost when his parents couldn't find him, but that they were lost. He makes reference to Jesus being in the house of God - not terribly original. But then, he draws the story to the end of Jesus' life, where he was dying in Jerusalem and the disciples are feeling a bit sorry for themselves for they have lost Jesus to the cross. When, in fact, they are ones who are lost and Jesus is, again, doing the work of the one who sent him.

Perhaps I am making too much of the simple connection, but I found it rather enlightening.

God is not far from each of us - though we often think that is so.

No comments: