I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

25 August 2005

Women

This is mainly for Adam - but others can read on.

Maurie and I listened to the sermon on our way home for Louisville and I feel like I need to listen again. It is clear that he has done good research and his points were powerful - to say the least. His use of Leviticus 19 was near inspired and he questioning was faithful to scripture. As you can see, I enjoyed it - but I am not sure he addressed fully the issues raised by Paul in Timothy.

Example - Why does Paul reference the Fall when making his case?

With this specifically in mind, Cope reads from Genesis contradicting Paul and saying that that is a fallen view of women; never addressing the plain fact that God made it so. However, I am not sure about the effectiveness of that argument. To me, I was still wanting more about how he reaches his conclusions. I thought his use of Paul's "become all things" may have been bit out of place - but perhaps I was just uncomfortable with it.

So, I will listen again and perhaps launch my own study of this age-old question.

Keep thinking.

No comments: