I once counseled a friend to take time to think. I was ridiculed for such an offering. Having no time to think themselves - the others in the room thought it a humourus thing to suggest. They have no idea of the impact that night has had on my life.

06 June 2005

Kelly Week

I recently began work as a professional firefighter with the City of Cincinnati. As such, I work a fairly strange schedule. Every three weeks the schedule gets extremely weird and I am finding it particularly wonderful. Saturday (of last week) was a workday, but I will not return to work until Friday (of this week). It is a full five days off with no vacation, no holiday, no sick time. Just the gift we firemen like to call a Kelly Week. So a hearty thank you to all who went on before me. See you at the bank, Home Depot, and everywhere we go without lines, without traffic and without hassle. As my comrades on Truck 32 always say, “Eat ‘till you’re tired, sleep ‘till you’re hungry.” But, when the tones drop I run like mad to the Truck, praying that God will keep me safe.

No comments: